– Highly analytical, they can discover connections between two seemingly unrelated things, and work best
when allowed to use their imagination and critical thinking.
Physicists typically specialize in one of many subfields, and some will go further to specialize in a subdivision of one of these subfields. However, all physics involve the same fundamental principles.
Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics
– is research on atoms, simple molecules, electrons and light, and their interactions
– is the study of physical processes in stars and other galactic sources, galactic structure and evolution, the early history and evolution of the universe, and the sun and solar activity
– is the study of biological phenomena using physical techniques
– provides understanding for a broad range of systems, from atomic collisions to complex materials, as well as the behaviour of the individual atoms and particles that make up the system
– explores the use of computers in physics research and education, as well as the role of physics in the development of computer technology
Condensed Matter Physics
– concentrates on such topics as superconductivity, semi-conductors, magnetism, complex fluids, and thin films
– is the study of the physics of fluids with special emphasis on the dynamical theories of the liquid, plastic and gaseous states of matter under all conditions of temperature and pressure
– or laser physics is a branch of optics that describes the theory and practice of lasers
– applies physics to complex and multiphase media including materials of technological interest, and uses physics to describe materials in many different ways such as force, heat, light and mechanics
– is the study of fundamental problems related to the nature of matter
Particles and Fields
– is the study of particles and fields, their interrelationships, interactions and structure, and the design and development of accelerators and instrumentation techniques for high energy physics
Physics of Beams
– is the study of the nature and behaviour of beams and the instruments for their production and use
– plasma, solid, gas and liquid are the four states of matter. Plasma physics is the study of plasma charged particles and fluids interacting with electric and magnetic fields.
– focuses on the physics of natural and synthetic macromolecular substances